Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Painting: Half A Bowl of Cherries

I'm not done with cherries, yet. Soon. Half A Bowl of Cherries, acrylic on canvas, 20" x 16, $800. sold
Presently I'm painting a series of canoes on the beach. It's a large canvas and hopefully I'll squeeze in some small pieces as I work on it. Not easy doing a painting a day.

One of my favorite painters these days is Julian Merrow-Smith. I found him while perusing blogs and this find has interested me in blogs in general as I hope to fall upon another person whose work I think is exceptional. His landscapes are beautiful. I love how he captures light. Recently his fall paintings, with such colors, makes me think that someday soon, I should face cold weather and check out the changing season and the colors of nature. But for now I'll stay barefoot and enjoy winter, on an island in the tropics and not mind having missed the seasonal change. Do look at his work at Postcards from Provence: http://shiftinglight.com/daily/about.php

4 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Paul Hutchinson said...

Interesting to see the differences in your treatment of cherries with my own! I aggree that Julian Merrow Smith is a fine painter - I enjoyed his earlier work. I find recently his still-lives are becoming a bit slick and formulaic. They still sell well so I guess it's a good formula! I prefer his portraits. Duanne Keiser is still doing some amazingly consistant and good work!

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Ingrid Manzione said...

Hi Paul,

I haven't been following Julian's work for long. I will have to look at some of his earlier pieces to get a feel and be able to compare what he is doing these days and your comment.

While I haven't paid that much attention to his still life work I have noted a couple of things regarding his landscapes...I guess it's format. I was almost thinking that I should do some quick studies of a few of his landscapes so I'd be able to figure out just what it is, compositionally, that works so well. I've noticed a pattern... formula? Doubt I'll do a study on his work still it got me thinking. Regardless, he's good. and I'd like to see his larger works in person to really judge.

Anyway, I'm sure many people turn to a formula, easy money & please the public. But in the long run it's really a trap and a fine artist could easily go nuts doing that. Or at least stale (and well fed).

Thanks for looking and the comment. I very much enjoy Duane Keiser's work as well.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Deb and John Branning said...

loved our late night chat

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Ingrid Manzione said...

It was fun chatting with you as there is always tons to share. Glad you visited the site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home