Thursday, November 02, 2006

At Last, Back At Work

It's hard to believe that so much time has passed since I've entered any art. My excuses are good: I went to Switzerland and then returned home via Washington DC. I explored works at the museums in Switzerland and at the Smithsonian and wow, what fun seeing so much art. There was too much to see thus I had to be selective and I stuck to my favorite periods; modern and contemporary. I wish I could remember all the works that were my favorite but I am sure I've been affected by all of it and probably will never really know in what way, other then I have changed, again. That's what I love about traveling, it affects you. It's great finding unexpected pieces, works that I've seen forever in books, as well as falling in love with new artists (established names known the world over and names new to me) and their work. The two artists that stick out the most are Ruth Duckworth and her vessels and sculptures. The other is Jean Tinguely and his interactive kinetic sculptures. If you're in the DC area you shouldn't miss Duckworth's works at the Renwick and if ever in Switzerland take the time to stop in Basel to visit Museum Jean Tinguely as well as visit his fountain in the old part of town.

Another treat was stopping at the newly reopened National Portrait Gallery in DC and experiencing the Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition 2006. The show is up until February and is worth a visit as all the pieces are created at such a high level of art. Best of all, these are our contemporaries. Definitely a must see.

I've been home for two weeks and did start painting about a week ago. It's been great and I do realize that I'm paying more attention to the quality of the stroke and the paint more then I am about reproducing what I see. It feels good so I'm just painting. However, a major problem I am finding is it's not so easy to create and get around to posting my work daily. I think I have a system figured out and only time will tell if I get 5 paintings posted a week but I am starting a new piece daily (yes!). So here goes.

This painting is part of a series entitled Things I Love But Shouldn't (Candy Corn), 4" x 4", acrylic on canvas, artist wrapped with edges painted, $100. I've placed this one in a miniature show that opens on Friday at Cedar Street Galleries in Honolulu. sold

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home